Fun Facts about DVDs!
We at SpenCertified love DVDs so much, we want to share some fun facts about them with you
- DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc
- The standard DVD is 4.7 inches in diameter and .047 inches thick
- The DVD Forum was a joint venture between hardware/software manufacturers and Hollywood companies to facilitate the growth of the DVD format through technical improvements and innovation.
- The DVD Forum was founded by 10 companies including Sony, The Walt Disney Company, Mitsubishi, Pioneer and Panasonic
- The DVD Forum was founded as the DVD Consortium in 1995
- Warner Brothers was the first major distributor to release DVD home movies
- The DVD format was officially launched on November 1, 1996 in Japan
- DVDs were released on March 24, 1997 in America
- HD-DVD was a format that was invented by Toshiba to be the successor to DVD, but only lasted for 2 years due to the format wars with Blu-Ray
- The standard DVD weighs 0.56 oz.
- At high quality, a DVD can hold 1 hour of video, at medium quality it can hold 2 hours of video and with compression software up to 3 hours
- In 2001, blank DVD-R discs cost the equivalent of $32.55 in 2020 dollars
- DVDs have a storage capacity of 4.7 GB versus 703 MB with CDs
- HD-DVD had a storage capacity of 15 GB
- The first 4 movies available on DVD were; Assassins, Blade Runner: Director's Cut, Eraser and The Fugitive
- The first 4 movies available on HD-DVD were released on April 18, 2006. They were The Last Samurai, Million Dollar Baby, The Phantom of the Opera and of course, Serenity. "I'm a leaf in the wind!"
- The final HD-DVD major-studio releases in the United States were; Into the Wild, P.S. I Love You and Twister, on May 27, 2008
- DVDs lasers use light of 650nm wavelength, as opposed to CDs which use 780nm which accounts for DVDs greater storage capacity
- Manufacturers claim that a well preserved DVD will last from 30 to 100 years
- The double layer DVD can hold 8.5 GB of data
- Many Hollywood movie studios are still releasing movies on the DVD format to this day
Thank you for your time! Don't forget to check out all our DVD Players we have to offer! And if your friends ask you about where you got all this interesting information, don't forget to tell them you got it from SpenCertified.
456 E Juanita Ave Suite 8
Mesa, AZ 85204